Three frames out of a film title sequence storyboard we did at TAFE. I chose Lost in Translation as my movie! This is meant to be the bottom of the pool at the hotel the story takes place in.
I decided to hand draw the lines and type to create the feeling of water moving. There is a subtle texture to make the colour less flat. Compiled in Illustrator.
Designing icons for a make believe smartphone app. Fun!
Two magazine layouts I made for an assignment. Our teacher encouraged us to experiment with grids to create structure, so this one is based on 4 columns and 3 rows per page.
I really like the combination of fonts. I increased the tracking for Helvetica light and used all caps, I think it looks crisp and balances Baskerville well.
For the contents page I looked at Monocle magazine for inspiration.
The bushfires across NSW yesterday turned the sky this strange colour here in Sydney. Even the sun looked red seen through the haze.
A poster I did for typography class. Midnight Kernboy is a typeface designed by James Arboghast.
This was printed in A2.
“Wes Wilson is a Leonardo-haired philosophy dropout from San Francisco State who is willing to admit he has taken at least six trips, ‘before it was illegal, of course.’”
We did research on famous graphic designers, and I got allocated Wes Wilson, the father of the 60’s psychedelic movement. Then we had to design a poster in the style of our designer. I was inspired by Wes Wilson’s use of complementary colours and flowing, nearly illegible type. I listened to Jefferson Airplane and had fun drawing the letters. I wish I could visit the year 1966 now…
A little illustration I did last year for an article about how lying down helps creative thinking. Note how this guy is having very energy efficient thoughts as well!
This is a funny story.
I work at an online shop, fulfilling our customers’ orders. Last month I spotted an unusual request in the message field of one of the orders. "Can the order please come with a picture of a mermaid riding a unicorn?"
So I drew the picture and sent it with the order. (While questioning whether a mermaid should be riding a sea-unicorn since normal unicorns live on land. But, the customer is always right…)
The customer shared my drawing on Facebook, which caused another person to request another unicorn… I was getting tired of unicorns, so I added a little note saying I prefer drawing cats. After that one was also shared on Facebook, there was a day of four or five requests of cats and one centaur lady.
A thing that started as a little joke lead into my first commissioned painting, a unicorn for a friend of a friend who, apparently, loves unicorns. It’s good to go along with silly things I guess. You might end up in interesting situations!
Interesting rhythm and pattern created by shadows. Looks like someone painted stripes on that brick wall.
For this assignment we had to research design movements and make a timeline about the history of art/design.
I accidentally stumbled upon an image of a lamppost covered in layers and layers of posters and flyers and immediately thought of that episode of Friends where Joey unknowingly becomes the face of an STD awareness campaign. At the end of the episode he rips off the bottom of one of the posters to reveal another poster underneath, with a different message… Anyway, this was my creative process, which happened while I was definitely not doing research on timelines or design movements. My actual research was a lot less interesting.
I decided to mostly make my poster by hand, so I went to the library and flipped through a massive pile of books to find suitable images. (I think books are a much more reliable source than the internet. Also you don’t have to worry about image sizes and pixelation with a photocopier!) Then I ripped my precious images and worked out my composition, sticking them together with blu tack. The only things I did on the computer were applying dropshadows to make the image less flat, cropping the edges and adding type. Et voilà! My poster is done!